One-third of Jersey City is designated as Urban Enterprise Zone. The Jersey City Urban Enterprise Zone is the largest and most productive UEZ in New Jersey.
The UEZ Program was started to cultivate an economic climate for revitalizing designated urban communities and stimulating growth by encouraging businesses to start and develop private-sector jobs through public and private investment.
The UEZ Program provides participating registered UEZ businesses with tax and other financial incentives to spur the growth of the companies and the local economy. The benefits for member businesses include:
- Reduced Retail Sales Tax - currently 3.5% (half the normal sales tax)
- Tax-Free Purchases of certain items such as capital equipment, facility expansions, upgrades and certain personal property
- Financial Assistance from agencies such as the New Jersey Economic Development Authority
- Subsidized Unemployment Insurance Costs for employees earning less than $4,500 per quarter
- Energy Sales Tax Exemption for qualified manufacturing firms with at least 250 full-time employees
- Tax Credit Options:
- Up to $1,500 for new, permanent, full-time employees hired or
- Up to 8% corporate business tax credit on qualified investments.
Are You in the Zone?
The Jersey City Urban Enterprise Zone is NOT restricted to any one area of the city, and includes areas from our northernmost to southernmost and easternmost to westernmost boundaries. Additionally, in 2011 changes were made to add new areas and delete others in the UEZ. Click here to view the most current map of the Jersey City UEZ.
Jersey City Economic Development Corporation • 30 Montgomery Street, Suite 1400 • Jersey City, NJ 07302 • Phone: 201-333-7797 • Fax: 201-333-9323
Paid for by the Jersey City Urban Enterprise Zone Program © 2013 Jersey City Economic Development Corporation